Kota Kinabalu, Sabah: An awesome weekend of Ultimate action at the Borneo Headhunters Hat 2011 wrapped up here Sunday at the most international pick-up session Kota Kinabalu has ever seen.
The surprisingly fast-paced, and energetic pickup game was the cherry on top of the super-moist, double chocolate cake that was Saturday’s hot hot hot Borneo Headhunters Hat Ultimate tournament.
The tournament had lots brilliant plays, dramatic fumbles, a sudden spate of ankle-rolls and cramps, a slight drought of layouts – but that which there were, were brilliant – and fairly evenly balanced teams.
Before lunch the games were narrowly contested and the scores were fairly close. After lunch the differences were slightly more pronounced, but both the penultimate game and the finals were decided off Universe Points, making for riveting Ultimate right here on Sabah soil.
An incredible mix of new and experienced players representing nearly 10 countries attended the Hat this year, hopefully giving the newer players the opportunities to measure themselves against more experienced ones and learn something new.
The participants also showed tremendous spirit, with all the teams scoring either 29, 30 or 31 points for Spirit, with the eventual winners just pipping everyone to the post with 32 points.
Here’s what the day’s 12 games came to.
Results from the Tournament
1st & Tournament Champs: Blue Wave in Blue
2nd: Big O in Orange
3rd: Hail Bloody Mary in Red
4th: Mat Salehs in White
5th: Lean Mean Green Machine in Green
MVP Female: Nicky from Blue Wave
MVP Male: Donny from Blue Wave
Best Female Layout: Lee from Big O
Best Male Layout: Dickson from Big O
Best Spirit Award: Mat Salehs
Click on the pic for the games scores and point differentials:
Big Up to Our Sponsors
Without our sponsors we would have been a lot more limited and would like to say a big thank you for your monetary contributions, discounts and supplies.
Photo Albums of the Event
A big thanks to our Official Photographer Charles Lai who snapped away the entire day.
There were loads of other cameras out at the tournament though, so if you would like to share your images with everybody, please email me the link and I will list it here. If you give me the Facebook link from the bottom of your Facebook album’s front page, then people who are not your friend can also view it.
Open to all:
- Official Photographer Charles Lai’s 1st Album on Facebook
- Official Photographer Charles Lai’s 2nd Album on Facebook
- Jaco’s Borneo Headhunters Hat 2011 Facebook Album
- Jaco’s Getting Wiggy With It Facebook Album
- Richard Sokial’s Headhunters Hat 2011 Facebook Album
- Sabah Ultimate’s Photo Album
For Facebook users only (might require friend request):
- Teng Han Nyan’s Borneo Headhunters Hat Album 1
- Teng Han Nyan’s Borneo Headhunters Hat Album 2
- Nex’s BHH Photos via Dino’s Facebook
- Everette’s Borneo Hat Feb 25-27 Album on Facebook
- Khai’s Borneo Headhunters Hat Album on Facebook
- Reena’s Headhunters Hat Album on Facebook
Awesome Headhunters Hat 2011 Suppliers
Here’s the awesome businesses that we used for the various bits and pieces. Their great service, punctual delivery and competitive prices ensured a smooth running tournament.
- Outstanding Headhunters Hat 2011 Logo by Graphic Artist Lim Sheng Haw (limshenghaw.com);
- Kick-ass PA + music system by Dee Entertainment Music Services (Ph: 012 826 6889);
- Tents / canopies by Syarikat Khemah Sejadi (Ph: 088 754 303);
- Water and dispensers by Nabalu Trading (Ph: 088 976 880);
- T-shirt and printing by Loung Bee Enterprise in Asia City (Ph: 088 211 031);
- On-field catering by Maju Cafe (Phone James Lamson on 017 831 8447);
- First Aid services by Field Skills (Phone Simon Amos on 088 484 734
Borneo Headhunters Hat 2011 In The News
News Paper Articles
- Borneo frisbee tourney back for second run, The Star, 1 March 2011
- Frisbee Meet a Boost to Sabah Tourism, Borneo Post, 28 Feb 2011
- Borneo Headhunters Hat is Back, Daily Express, 25 Feb 2011
Blogs & Other Websites
- Borneo Headhunters Hat, Chucky’s Demented Thoughts
- Borneo Headhunters Hat Event, SabahBah.com
- Borneo Headhunters Hat 2011, 1Earth
- Borneo Headhunters Hat Frisbee Tournament 2011, Steven Hsieh
- BHH2011 Listing, Ffindr.com
- Borneo Post Republished, eBorneo
- Borneo Post Republished, Cambodia Tourism, 28 Feb 2011
2nd Print Run Shirts
The 27 extra shirts we had printed to sell at the tournament sold out fast, so we’re accepting orders for a second print run. If you want to order more shirts, please email me with the quantity you want, what size and colour and add your phone number, and when we have enough we’ll order some more.
Available colours are red, green, blue, orange, white and black.
And that’s it – thanks again to all the participants, spectators, sponsors and suppliers that were involved with this year’s Headhunters Hat. We look forward to doing it all again, but better, next year!
See you then!